Recipe: Kimbab


posted by Ratri Anggardani Prayitno on , ,

No comments

Last week, I made Kimbab for my lunch box's trip to Yogyakarta with my friends. it's my second time making this. I was in my holiday (actually everyday seemed like holiday for me though), and my friends that had been lived in other cities were coming home, so we made a plan for a little trip. And there I was, making a Kimbab in my kitchen. :)

Kimbab is a Korean food that use kim (김, seaweed) and bab (밥, rice) for its ingredients. It's like sushi-roll in Japan. It's a very simple food to make. Here's the recipe -modified by me-

Tools:
- Kimbal (a tools for rolling the rice, made from bamboo)
tip:
If you don't have kimbal, no need to buy it, just use a transparent plastic. It works the same. I used it. :p
- Cooking brush



Ingredients:
- Roasted seaweed
- Japanese rice. I did about 2 cups of rice grain for 6 seaweed.
tip:
Since it's kinda hard to find Japanese rice and it's pretty expensive, I use a mixture of common rice and sticky rice (beras ketan) instead with ratio 2:1. I get this from my friend, Amalia. But if you still can't find sticky rice, just use common rice, it'll work with a little trick. :)
- Salt
- Broth powder. It's optional. I use it so the rice will taste more.
- Sesame oil

Filling:
Originally, it use meat, omelet, cucumber, and kimchi (optional). but as for me, I use easier ingredients to find :) such as
- Sausage. 3 sausage will be enough.
- Omelet. use 2 eggs for a thick result of omelet.
- Cucumber.
- Carrot.
tip:
You can use boiled chicken as filling also. Just boil it with a little salt and pepper until done. You can use the chicken broth to cook the rice instead of using broth powder. You won't need salt added anymore then.

Complement ingredients:
- Mirin (Japanese soy sauce) or just soy sauce.
- Mayonnaise

How to make:

  1. Cook your rice grains with broth powder and salt as your taste. A little tip if you use common rice: cook it with a little more water than usual so that the result will more flaccid and sticky.
  2. Grill or fry sausages. Cut it into 2 or 4 long pieces.
  3. Whisk eggs with a pinch of salt. Make an omelet from it. Cut the omelet long for about 1 cm wide.
  4. Cut both ends of cucumber. Cut it long into 4 so it'll be easier to remove the seeds. Remove the seeds. Cut long each part for about 1 cm wide.
  5. Cut long the carrots so it becomes about 1 cm wide and thick. Boil it for about 3 minutes long. Drain it.
  6. After all ingredients have been prepared, place one seaweed on the kimbal (or plastic, as I said before) with the rough side as the upper side.
  7. Put the rice on it, spread it all over. Not too thick. You don't want your kimbab only taste with rice without any taste of the fillings.
  8. Spread sesame oil all over it using cooking brush. Sprinkle salt on top of it if you like.
  9. Place the filling near one end. Give a little space between the arrangement and the end of seaweed.
  10. Roll the seaweed, while pressing it lightly so it all will be stick together and not mess when you cut it later.
  11. Do over step 6-10 for all ingredients.
  12. Cut both ends for you to eat alone :), then cut the rest for about 2 or 3 cm wide. Serve it with soy sauce and/or mayonnaise. note: Cut the kimbab when you want to serve it, so the rice won't be dry due to air exposure. Wrap the other whole kimbabs using aluminium foil, so you can heat it later with microwave when you want to eat it. Tip: coat your knife with sesame oil before you use it to cut the kimbab, so it'll be easier to cut trough the sticky rice.
And here's the one I made :D


Just simple as that, right? Hope this recipe will help you to make your own kimbab. You can modify your own favorite filling. It could be nugget, or satay, or seafood maybe. :)

Adios! ^^

Leave a Reply