Star constellations


posted by Ratri Anggardani Prayitno on

1 comment

As you know -if you knew- I am a fan of stars, those little-shining-things on the night sky. And because of my past blog post about Galaksi Kinanthi's book review, I want to know more about star constellations.

Historically, the term constellation was used to refer to a perceived pattern formed by prominent stars within apparent proximity to one another. Almost all of modern constellations were share name with the Graeco-Roman predecessor, such as Leo, Scorpius, and Orion. Feels familiar with some of the names? Yes, some of them are the zodiac names.

image by Wikipedia
Here are some constellations in Greek mythology and its meaning:

  • Aquarius : The Water Bearer
  • Aquila : The Eagle  (I have a friend with this name on his! now I know what its meaning. nice name bro. ^^)
  • Ara : The Altar  (one of Galaksi Kinanthi's chapter)
  • Aries : The Ram
  • Auriga : The Charioteer
  • Bootes : The Wagon Driver
  • Chamaeleon  (Kugy Charmeleon!! on Dee's Perahu Kertas novel. I guess.)
  • Cancer : The Crab
  • Canis Major / Minor : The Dog / The Little Dog
  • Capricorn : The Goat Horn
  • Cassiopeia : The Queen
  • Cepheus : The King
  • Corvus : The Crow
  • Cygnus : The Swan
  • Draco : The Dragon  (Harry Potter's cast!)
  • Eridanus : The River
  • Gemini : The Twins
  • Leo : The Lion  (my lovely zodiac. ^^)
  • Libra : The Scales
  • Perseus : The Destroyer  (it reminds me to Clash of The Titan movie)
  • Pisces : The Fishes
  • Saggita : The Arrow
  • Saggitarius : The Archer  (I thought Saggita was the origin name of zodiac Saggitarius. I was wrong)
  • Scorpio : The Scorpion
  • Taurus : The Bull
  • Trianna (Sumerian) : The Rainbow
  • Ursa Major / Minor : The Great Bear / The Little Bear
  • Virgo : The Virgin
  • Vela : The Curtain  (another friend with constellation's name!)
  • Vulpecula  (another chapter of Galaksi Kinanthi)

Those names are beautiful, aren't they? I find it kind of way exotic. Some names can be used as people names. And now I'm wondering, when someday I have kids, I want to give one of those names to my kids. Maybe Vela, Ara, Trianna, or Cygna (from constellation Cygnus). hehehe.... :D
You can browse more constellation names if you want, try to find it at Google. Maybe you can find some other beautiful names with beautiful meaning to share.

Adios! ^^

1 comment

Leave a Reply